Sunday, May 22, 2005

Randoms Thoughts

Before I write anything else, let me just say that Gavin was the one following me around on Thursday. . .not the other way around!

Ok, now that that's out of the way--on to more random thoughts.

Emergent was like being back in seminary. It was fun to talk theology and ecclesiology non-stop--oh, and don't forget hermeneutics. Sometimes when I'm with "normal" friends I start talking about that stuff and they're like, "Jenny, you sound like a complete dork." I love to hang out with people who love the church. My soundtrack for my short time at the convention is Derek Webb's song, "The Church". I LOVE that song. It says, "I haven't come for only you, but for my people to pursue. And you cannot care for me with no regard for her. If you love me you will love the church."

I only made it to the Scripture learning community and it was awesome!! Brian McLaren started by talking about how in love he was with the Bible and how not a day goes by that he doesn't read God's Word. He said a lot of other brilliant things, but that's the one thing that convicted me the most. I read something everyday, but not always the Bible. I read Anne Lammott, Dan Miller, Kathleen Norris, John Wesley, Reuben Job, Brian McLaren, a lot of blogs--but the Bible is nearly never my first choice. I'm really convicted about that because I don't find my place in the story if I don't love it and long for it daily.

I was so glad that Jonathon and Co. identified the "emo" look. Before I got there I was worried that I was going to look really out of place. My perception of who I thought I would see was young, hip-looking, goatee-having, messenger bag carrying, Vans-wearing, trendy people, of whom I am definitely not a part. And, while not everyone looked like that, it was definitely the dominate look. Funny, really. How I wish I could be hip.

So, not the profundity of Lynnette's or Jonathon's posts, but I was only there for a day. I'm hoping everyone else's thoughts and wonderings will spill over enough so that it's like I was there. I'm fried from such a crazy week and tomorrow I'm off to NYC for a conference that will have me fried and toasted. I'll blog if I can. If not, that's all until next weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger gavin richardson said...

me following you? i suppose that is your hermeneutic. alas, i have a very "emo" pic of you in my photo album.

7:43 AM  
Blogger lynnette said...

do i count as emo?

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://aifeogac.com/crtr/npyk.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://xoegqwdn.com/togu/bgax.html]Cool site[/url]

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://aifeogac.com/crtr/npyk.html | http://dfycygoq.com/nlip/ddjs.html

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home